Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Durian Fever!

Hey Diary,

Last Monday, I had agreed to follow my best friend's parents visiting their orchard situated in Pekan Nenas, Pontian - a small town ahead before the city of Johor Bahru. Located in between the district of Pontian and the state's capital city of JB. That is about 15 minutes journey by car. Unfortunate enough, my best friend Anis was not together with the three of us as she has had to be in her University.

My family can be said, we do not have this hobby in planting and cultivating the flora of this world. Sadly enough, my mother normally would just know to buy vegetables from the town market to be cooked. Therefore, I am grown up to appreciating others' hobbies of both cultivation and plantation. Once, I have thought that I am of no green fingers person but this thought was quashed by a prominent friend who said that is the ultimate being of a reason of laziness. His opinion is very well perceived by me, though.

A hut at the front

We started the day off by collecting durian which has fallen that night earlier into the kereta sorong.

A kereta sorong ;p (Don't know what it is in English)

Later, Uncle Hamid asked me to sit and enjoy the durian that Auntie and I have collected in the first place. The first one contained this yellowish sweet taste of durian that I myself enjoyed it till finger-licking good! Yum yum!



However, I was to enjoy it alone because perhaps Uncle & Auntie had enough enjoyment at the early of the season, eating durian. Although I was pretty shy but I had to hide it in order to satisfy this crazy craving of enjoying one. Oh. Did I tell you a night before, a friend of mine has me envied of him for the same reason? And probably, on this moment of truth I took it for the revenge! So, I did eat A LOT of it. I mean it, A LOT. In Malay - it is understood as 'pulun'!

More and MORE to come!

We also got to pluck some rambutans (rambutan gading that is yellow in colour) that day. Mm-mm! And some mangosteen. Uncle told me about a fact of eating mangosteen and drinking coffee at the same time could possibly entitle one to death. I do not know how far this is true but they said it had happened, before. The logical explanation is derived from the fact that the mangosteen is naturally 'cold' in character & coffee, the otherwise, is 'hot' in nature. Therefore, one who cannot stand these 2 elements can approach the death! Too good to be true, to me!

Rambutan from the up-close.

And this is the baby of it! Cute, huh?



Despite being bitten by a lot of kerenggas (ants) and mosquitoes, I did really enjoy every second being at the orchard. My best friend's parents treated me kindly and they were really worried of me every time feared if I'd be bitten by mosquitoes and all which I actually didn't give a mind to. That's mother nature, I think. Natural.

I had the best time there but being the consequence of the extreme enjoyment now I'm catching a feverish condition resulted from eating a lot of durian, I guess. People say, being extreme isn't good. This is it I bear with me now. But it was really priceless!

Off for now, Diary!

No comments:

Post a Comment